Short-term Group Trips
SIMS organizes short-term service trips around the globe for groups of 15-20 students and health professionals during winter, spring and summer school breaks. SIMS teams are interdisciplinary and composed primarily of LLU students from various schools, as well as LLUAH employees. Other volunteers may be able to participate in a trip depending on available space.
Team trips typically last from 7 days to three weeks. The goals and objectives of each trip vary based on the stated needs of the host country and organization. Trip activities generally may include providing primary medical care, dental services, public health education, evangelism, and children's programs to an under-served community.
Team trips allow students to actively participate in the global mission of Loma Linda University by providing humanitarian service to world communities through programs that enhance their quality of life. SIMS' team trips enable students to develop cultural competency in an international healthcare setting by exposing them to healthcare systems and delivery in countries where resources and medical supplies are extremely limited.
Team trips will help participants:
- Learn how to work as part of a team
- Develop a larger sense of cultural competency and global awareness
- Deepen their commitment to global service
- Develop existing clinical skills
- Broaden their Christian worldview
- Engage in reflection and self-growth
Join LLU SIMS for life changing mission service experiences, follow the links below to learn more about our upcoming:
- Nigeria - June 13-28, 2017
- Peru - June 14-28, 2017
- Brazil - July 13-27, 2017
- Madagascar - August 8-22, 2017 (tentative dates)
- Cuba - August 16-30, 2017 (tentative dates)
- Honduras - December 18-29, 2017 (tentative dates)
- Sierra Leone - December 18, 2017- January 2, 2018 (tentative dates)
- Thailand - December 19, 2017-January 1, 2018 (tentative dates)
Project costs can range from $1,000 to $2,500 for LLU Students. At the time of application, trip participants must make a non-refundable deposit of $300 to ensure their participation in the project. SIMS will provide participants with online fundraising tools and strategies to help participants raise funds for the remainder of the project costs.