About Christopher C. Perry, PhD
C. Contributions to Science
My research experiences include nanoscience, environmental nanochemistry, and nanomedicine. My research interests at LLU focus on nanoparticles for therapeutic applications, radiosensitization of nanomaterials for DNA damage, and the fundamental mechanisms of noble metal nanoparticle synthesis and growth. With my colleagues at LLU (Drs. Fletcher, Boskovic, Nick, Sinclair), we are continuing such collaboration in projects exploring the role of metallic nanoparticles to fight pathogenic organisms or as neutralizing agents for persistent organic environmental pollutants.
- Sabir, Theodore S.; Rowland, Leah K.; Milligan, Jamie R.; Yan, Dong; Aruni, A. Wilson; Chen, Qiao; Boskovic, Danilo S; Kurti, R. Steven; Perry, Christopher C., Mechanistic Investigation of Seeded Growth in Triblock Copolymer Stabilized Gold Nanoparticles. Langmuir. 2013 March 15; 29(12):3903-3911.
- Sabir, Theodore S.; Yan, Dong; Milligan, Jamie R.; Aruni, A. Wilson; Nick, Kevin E.; Ramon, Ruth H.; Hughes, Joseph A.; Chen, Qiao; Kurti, R. Steven; Perry, Christopher C., Kinetics of Gold Nanoparticle Formation Facilitated by Triblock Copolymers. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 2012 February 14; 116(7):4431-4441.
- Perry, Christopher C.; Sabir, Theodore S.; Livingston, Wesley J.; Milligan, Jamie R.; Chen, Qiao; Maskiewicz, Victoria; Boskovic, Danilo S., Fluorescence of commercial Pluronic F127 samples: Temperature-dependent micellization. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2011; 354(2):662-669.
My research contributions in collaboration with my colleagues Drs. Chen (University of Surrey, UK) and Allard (La Sierra University, US) has been to develop novel metal oxide nanocomposites. Our goal is to use these nanocomposites in fuel cell and environmental remediation technologies. We used sophisticated analytical techniques including ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography (uHPLC) and liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (LC-MS).
- Allard, Marco M.; Merlos, Stephanie N.; Springer, Brittney N. ; Cooper, Jamey; Zhang,Guangyu,, Boskovic, Danilo S.; Kwon, So Ran; Nick, Kevin E.; Perry, Christopher C., Role of TiO2 Anatase Surface Morphology on Organophosphorus Interfacial Chemistry. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 2018 December 03; 122(51):29237-29248.
- Lee, Wei Cheat; Fang, Yuanxing; Turner, John F.C.; Bedi, Jasbir S.; Perry,Christopher C.; He,Heyong; Qian, Rong; Chen, Qiao, An enhanced gas ionization sensor from Y-doped vertically aligned conductive ZnO nanorods. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical. 2016 December; 237:724-732.
- Lee, Wei Cheat; Fang, Yuanxing; Kler, Rantej; Canciani, Giacomo E.; Draper, Thomas C.; Al-Abdullah, Zainab T.Y.; Alfadul, Sulaiman M.; Perry, Christopher C.; He, Heyong; Chen, Qiao,. Marangoni ring-templated vertically aligned ZnO nanotube arrays with enhanced photocatalytic hydrogen production. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2015 January; 149-150:12-16.
- Al-Abdullah, Zainab T Y; Shin, Yuyoung; Kler, Rantej; Perry, Christopher C.; Zhou, Wuzong; Chen,Qiao. The influence of hydroxide on the initial stages of anodic growth of TiO 2 nanotubular arrays. Nanotechnology. 2010 December 17; 21(50):505601-.
- Surface Chemistry
I had the opportunity to be involved in some seminal work during my formal training. My graduate and early post-doctoral research focused on understanding how model organic compounds orientate and bind to metal substrates under high vacuum. I also was involving in surface environmental chemistry research. We discovered that halocarbon degradation on ice is mediated by the low energy secondary electrons generated from the incident ionizing radiation (photons, particles).
- Perry, C. C.; Faradzhev, N. S.; Madey,T. E.; Fairbrother,D. H., Electron stimulated reactions of methyl iodide coadsorbed with amorphous solid water. The Journal of Chemical Physics. 2007 May 28; 126(20):204701-.
- Perry, C. C.; Faradzhev, N. S.; Fairbrother, D. H.; Madey, T. E., Electron-driven chemistry of halogenated compounds in condensed phases: Effects of solvent matrices on reaction dynamics and kinetics. International Reviews in Physical Chemistry. 2004; 23(2):289-340.
- Chen, Q.; Perry, C.C.; Frederick, B.G.; Murray, P.W.; Haq, S.; Richardson, N.V., Structural aspects of the low-temperature deprotonation of benzoic acid on Cu(110) surfaces. Surface Science. 2000; 446(1-2):63-75.
- Perry, C.C.; Haq, S.; Frederick, B.G.; Richardson, N.V., Face specificity and the role of metal adatoms in molecular reorientation at surfaces. Surface Science. 1998; 409(3):512-520.