Special NotificationAll academic courses available fully online. Courses use a combined synchronous and asynchronous format.
Program DescriptionThe Drug and Alcohol Counseling certificate program is a 100% online, post-baccalaureate program designed to further master's-level behavioral health professionals' practical knowledge in addressing the needs of individuals with substance use disorders and their families. The certificate is specifically targeted toward individuals pursuing licensure or already licensed as mental health professionals. Thirteen quarter units (nine academic units and four practicum units) are taken over four quarters. Students complete 200 hours of supervised field experience in an acceptable treatment setting. Courses are offered as a mixture of synchronous and asynchronous formats, which is especially convenient for working adults. Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Program LengthOne year (12 months) or four quarters
Possible CareersGraduates may find employment as addiction counselors, substance abuse counselors in a variety of settings, including inpatient, outpatient and residential treatment settings. With the appropriate licensure, qualified individuals may work in private practice settings.
|QUARTER||APPLICATION OPEN||PRIORITY DEADLINE||FINAL DEADLINE|
|Autumn 2022||Jul 14, 2021||Dec 11, 2021||Jun 1, 2022|
|Winter 2023||January 1, 2022||June 30, 2022||November 1, 2022|
|Spring 2023||July 1, 2022||September 30, 2022||January 31, 2023|
|Summer 2023||August 31, 2022||January 6, 2023||April 21, 2023|
- A University application (including students currently enrolled in another program at Loma Linda University). Must meet all requirements for application prior to admission into the certificate program.
- An essay (part of University application) describing how applicant will integrate drug and alcohol counseling certificate into work as a behavioral health professional as well as contributions applicant anticipates making to the substance use treatment field.
- An interview, conducted either face-to-face or online via Zoom, with the program director.
PrerequisitesA bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. Enrollment in or completion of a master's degree in a behavioral health-related discipline.
Integrating faith and health
Loma Linda University educates and encourages a balanced life by living our values of humility, compassion, justice, integrity, excellence, freedom and self- control. You will be surrounded by faculty who are committed to healthcare innovation and research while engaging your spirituality.
Expected Cost of Attendance
Academic Year 2022-2023
|Year of Program:||Year 1||Year 2|
|Books & Supplies||$994||$331|
|Misc (e.g., Boards, Licensing exam, Uniforms)||—||—|
NotesNo quarterly enrollment fees for online students.
Estimated Living Expenses
Academic Year 2022-2023, off campus, with a roommate
|Year of Program:||Year 1||Year 2|
|Room & Board||$14,985||$4,995|
- Amounts are what a student can apply to borrow for the number of months shown in each academic year based on living off campus with a roommate and not with a relative.
- International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on the numbers listed here.
- In general, to qualify for financial aid a student must be enrolled at least half time taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.