The Entry-level DPT program is for individuals with no previous degree in Physical Therapy or who have an Associate degree in the field of Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA). A Bachelor degree in any field, earned from a accredited university/college, is required. The DPT program is 3 years in length; always beginning in June. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required. However, to be competitive, over the past few years the applicant has needed a 3.5 GPA or higher.
In calculating the prerequisite GPA, we count science prerequisites, all non-science prerequisites, two humanities courses, one social science, and the freshman/English composition sequence. If you do not have an additional social science course, we will then count three humanities courses. For any course repeated, the most recent grade will be used. We have a two attempt rule which states if an applicant repeats a course more than two times, we will count the grade received on the second attempt.
At the time of application:
- The Anatomy and Physiology sequence must be completed
- No more than three science prerequisites can be outstanding
- Science prerequisites can be no older than ten years
- Forty observation hours must be completed prior to receiving an interview
Program Length3 years
Possible CareersWithin the profession there are many specialties including orthopaedics, neurology, pediatrics, geriatrics, cardiopulmonary, hand rehabilitation, and sports physical therapy. Physical therapists work in acute-care and convalescent hospitals, rehabilitation centers, children's centers, private practice, athletic training and sports medicine programs, research institutions, school systems, and home-care agencies.
Application DeadlinesAll applications must be submitted through www.ptcas.org. The priority deadline is October 1st with a final deadline of December 1st. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by the priority deadline. The Departments uses the date applicants e-submit their PTCAS application to see if they have meet our deadlines. For example, if you e-submit your PTCAS application on August 25th, you have met our priority deadline. Once applicants have e-submitted their application and PTCAS has received all transcripts, PTCAS will verify the application. This can take several weeks to verify. After the application has been verified, PTCAS will send the application to LLU. Once we have received it, an email containing a link for the secondary application, will be sent to you. It can take up to a week, after LLU has received your application, before you will receive the secondary application email.
Admissions RequirementsTo be eligible for admission, the applicant must have:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Students need to have an earned bachelor's degree prior to acceptance. Specific course requirements apply.
- International students must provide a TOEFL exam score.
- Note: “C minus” grades are not accepted for credit!
- When retaking classes, the DPT Department will accept up to two attempts. If a student takes a class three or more times, the Department will count the grade earned on the second attempt.
- Human Anatomy & Physiology with lab, complete sequence
- General Chemistry with lab, complete sequence
- General Physics with lab, complete sequence
- Two additional Biological Science course
- Medical Terminology
- General Psychology
- Human Growth & Development/Developmental Psychology of the Lifespan
- One course in oral communication skills
Observation experience: 80 observation/work hours are required – 20 hours must be in an inpatient setting and 20 hours must be in an outpatient setting. The remaining 40 hours can be in any setting.
Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
Discipline Accrediting AgencyThe program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education of the American Physical Therapy Association, 111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314; telephone (703) 706-3245.
Expected Cost of Attendance
Academic Year 2022-2023
|Year of Program:||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Books & Supplies||$1,800||$1,600||$500|
|Misc (e.g., Boards, Licensing exam, Uniforms)||—||—||—|
NotesThe first year of the DPT program is a 12 month cycle and the cost of the first year is considerable higher than the following two years. The cost of attendance varies from year to year. Please contact the office of Student Finance for up-to-date costs.
Estimated Living Expenses
Academic Year 2022-2023, off campus, with a roommate
|Year of Program:||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Room & Board||$19,980||$16,650||$17,483|
- Amounts are what a student can apply to borrow for the number of months shown in each academic year based on living off campus with a roommate and not with a relative.
- International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on the numbers listed here.
- In general, to qualify for financial aid a student must be enrolled at least half time taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.