Our nation is currently in an opioid epidemic, which is changing the way in which pain is treated and managed. Opioids are not recommended first-line for chronic, non-malignant pain, nor for neuropathic pain. Pharmacists play a vital role in the efforts to reduce opioid use and recommend evidence-based treatment management strategies. This course is intended to educate pharmacists on the most up-to-date treatment recommendations for chronic pain and neuropathic pain in order to better care for their patients.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Summarize the status of the current opioid epidemic in the US
- Review the CDC guidelines for chronic pain treatment along with other treatment guidelines for neuropathic pain
- Identify non-opioid pain management treatments and techniques
- Evaluate treatment options for pain management
- Provide treatment recommendations based upon pain etiology and patient specific characteristics
Schedule: Coming Soon
- Loma Linda University Medical Center, Staff Development is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC) Commission on Accreditation and this program meets the qualifications for 2.0 hours continuing education credit by the ANCC.
- Loma Linda University Medical Center Office of Staff Development is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. LLUMC Office of Staff Development maintains responsibility for this program and its contents. This event meets the qualifications for 2.0 hours of continuing education credit for psychologists as required by the American Psychological Association.
- Loma Linda University Medical Center, Staff Development is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 00239, this program is approved for 2.0 contact hours.
- Loma Linda University Medical Center, Staff Development provider #180 is accredited by the California Accreditation of Pharmacy Education(CAPE) as a recognized provider of continuing pharmacy education. Pharmacists completing this course prior to 03/01/2021 may receive 2.0 credits
Jessa Marie Koch, PharmD, BCPP
Assistant Professor, Psychiatry & Neurology
Department of Pharmacy Practice
Loma Linda University School of Pharmacy, Loma Linda, CA
General Participant 40.00
LLU Alumni/Faculty/Staff 0.00
LLU Student 0.00