All Physical Therapists who practice in the State of California need to have a current understanding of the Laws and Regulations that govern the practice of physical therapy. This course will assist the participant to understand and differentiate between the Physical Therapy Practice Act and the Physical Therapy Regulations. In addition, this course will cover, Continuing Competency requirements, Practice Issues (e.g. Direct access and diagnosis, PTAs serving in leadership roles, Physical therapists providing wellness, etc.), and Supervision of supportive personal and Employment of Physical Therapists by professional corporations.
At the end of this course the attendee will be able to:
- Describe where information about the California Physical Therapy practice Laws and Regulations can be found.
- Describe the difference between the Physical Therapy Practice Act and the Physical Therapy Regulations including what body votes them into existence.
- Discuss the implications of the Act and Regulations on lawful clinical practice.
- Discuss current legal issues in the practice of physical therapy including:
- Employment of Physical Therapist by professional corporations not owned by physical therapists.
- Requirements for Continuing Competency
- Supervision of Supportive Personal
- Direct access and diagnosis
|5:30pm - 5:45pm||Didactic Presentation
|5:45pmm - 7:30pm||
Loma Linda University Medical Center, Staff Development is recognized as a Continuing Competency Approving Agency by the Physical Therapy Board of California. This program is approved for 2.0 CE credits
Larry Chinnock, PT, EdD, MBA
Larry Chinnock is currently the Chair of the Department of Physical Therapy at Loma Linda University and the program director of the entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy program. Dr. Chinnock has been a physical therapist for over thirty years with clinical experience in pediatrics, acute care, and rehabilitation. Dr. Chinnock has been a faculty member of the Department of Physical Therapy for twenty-eight years. His teaching responsibilities include Physical Therapy Administration where the Physical Therapy Practice Law and Regulations are taught on a yearly basis
General Participant 50.00
Student (Non-LLU): 45.00
LLUH Employee/ Faculty/ Student: 35.00
PT Clinical Instructor: 35.00