Magnetic resonance imaging technologists work in a highly specialized field operating sophisticated computerized equipment. They provide detailed cross-sectional images of the human body, assisting physicians with quality patient diagnosis and treatment. This is a full-time, six-month certificate program requires two quarters: Spring and Summer. The program starts in April and ends in September. During the program students take formal course work along with clinical instruction. There are no arrangements for part-time or evening status. Clinical sites are available but the student is not guaranteed placement close to the his/her residence.
The program requires 40 hours per week, which includes didactic and clinical experience. Clinical involves four eight-hour days per week. Classes are scheduled for one day per week and may require the student to be on campus.
A combined twelve-month MRI/CT program is also offered. Interested applicants should check the appropriate box on the application.
The MRI Student Profile
Enthusiastic and interested in maintaining high standards of academics, clinical performance, and patient care. Possesses a broad knowledge of human anatomy and computer skills. Strong academic performance in science and related courses. Students should be detail-oriented, able to work under pressure with critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
Program Length2 quarters or 6 months
Possible CareersMRI Specialist in a hospital or clinic setting.
|Quarter||Application Open||Priority Deadline||Final Deadline|
|Spring of 2022||May 1, 2021||—||Dec 1, 2021|
|Autumn of 2022||Jan 2, 2022||—||Jun 1, 2022|
Admissions RequirementsThe applicant should submit meaningful recommendations from prior teachers, work supervisors, or health professionals who are knowledgeable about his/her qualifications. An applicant who is completing a program in radiologic technology prior to the start of the program may apply as long as s/he has completed ARRT, CRT, and CPR requirements by the program start date.
- Current ARRT license in Radiography (R)
- Current California (CRT) license
- Current CPR card with the American Heart Association.
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 must be maintained in all didactic and clinical course work. Each student must complete all clinical requirements and class work, including assignments, quizzes, and exams.
- Venipuncture is highly recommended
- Current required vaccinations by program start date
A minimum of 12 hours of career observation in MRI is required. Students interested in combined CT & MRI program will need 12 hours of observation in each modality. The Career Observation Form is available as a download from the forms page on the Web site.
Discipline Accrediting AgencyLoma Linda University is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities, and the Radiologic Health Branch of the Department of Health Services.
Expected Cost of Attendance
Academic Year 2021-2022
|Year of Program:||Year 1|
|Books & Supplies||$475|
|Misc (e.g., Boards, Licensing exam, Uniforms)||—|
NotesThe cost of attendance varies from year to year. Please contact the office of Student Finance for up-to-date costs.
Important Program Financial Disclosures can be found at: MRI program: http://www.llu.edu/assets/alliedhealth/disclosures/mri-fa/Gedt.html Combined program: http://www.llu.edu/assets/alliedhealth/disclosures/ct-mri/Gedt.html
Estimated Living Expenses
Academic Year 2021-2022, off campus, with a roommate
|Year of Program:||Year 1|
|Room & Board||$8,850|
- Amounts are what a student can apply to borrow for the number of months shown in each academic year based on living off campus with a roommate and not with a relative.
- International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on the numbers listed here.
- In general, to qualify for financial aid a student must be enrolled at least half time taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.