The Play Therapy Certificate is a 13-unit program which offers a theoretically-based approach for working with children and adolescents presenting with a number of behavioral health issues. This approach utilizes toys and other expressive activities as forms of communication and as an intervention method for problem solving and promoting well-being.
The fully online Play Therapy Program certificate is designed to meet the educational requirements of the Association for Play Therapy (APT) to become a registered play therapist (RPT) and is designed for behavioral health professionals with or in the process of obtaining a licensable graduate degree from an accredited college.
Program Length4 academic quarters - based on part-time enrollment
Play Therapist in a number of settings including private practice, non-profit agencies, child abuse assessment and treatment centers, fostering and adoption programs, and hospitals.
- A fully completed LLU application form.
- A graduate with a licensable mental health degree from an accredited university. (Official transcripts are evidence of degrees and courses completed.) Individuals already licensed as a mental health professional must be in good standing with the relevant licensing board.
- Consideration for admission will be given to individuals in the process of completing a licensable mental health graduate degree from an accredited university. Applicant must be in good academic standing and have permission from their current program to enroll.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from an academic source, professional peer, and/or from a work supervisor.
Must have or be in the process of obtaining a licensable mental health degree from an accredited university.
Discipline Accrediting Agency
Although there is no discipline accrediting agency, the Play Therapy Certificate Program is designed to meet the educational requirements of the Association of Play Therapy (APT) to become a registered play therapist (RPT).
Expected Cost of Attendance
Academic Year 2019-2020
|Year of Program:||Year 1|
|Books & Supplies||—|
|Misc (e.g., Boards, Licensing exam, Uniforms)||—|
Expected costs for the 2019-2020 academic year are based on full time attendance. From year to year, increases are anticipated consistent with inflation in the professional education sector.
The tuition cost of the program is based on a flat rate which can be divided over 4-quarters for a cost of $1125.00 per quarter. This amount does not include books and supplies.
Estimated Living Expenses
Academic Year 2019-2020, off campus, with a roommate
|Year of Program:||Year 1|
|Room & Board||$11,655|
- Amounts are what a student can apply to borrow for the number of months shown in each academic year based on living off campus with a roommate and not with a relative.
- International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on the numbers listed here.
- In general, to qualify for financial aid a student must be enrolled at least half time taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.