The School Counseling certificate is designed specifically for Counseling MS and Marital and Family Therapy MS students who wish to add the California Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential in School Counseling to their program. All degree requirements and certificate requirements must be met and the degree awarded prior to recommendation for the PPS credential.
Program Length2 years
In addition to working with students on campus, professional school counselors serve as consultants for school administrators, faculty, staff, parents, community leaders, and other professionals who work with and for students. The role of professional school counselors varies with the public school district and grade levels ranging from preschool through college and university.
|Quarter||Application Open||Priority Deadline||Final Deadline|
|Spring of 2021||Aug 27, 2020||Jan 4, 2021||Feb 19, 2021|
|Summer of 2021||Aug 27, 2020||Mar 1, 2021||Apr 30, 2021|
|Autumn of 2021||Aug 27, 2020||Dec 1, 2020||Apr 30, 2021|
Loma Linda University students in the MS Counseling or MS degree in Marital and Family Therapy program may complete the School Counseling certificate program concurrently with their degree program. The application process for the certificate is separate, and acceptance is not automatic.
- Minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0
- All official college transcripts received by LLU
- Health clearance, including TB testing
- Background check
- Three letters of recommendation as specified
- Written personal statement with application
- Interview with department faculty
- Applicants for whom English is not first language must present score for TOEFL as published in Loma Linda University Catalog
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents must provide valid student visa
PrerequisitesPlease reference the Admissions Requirements.
Expected Cost of Attendance
Academic Year 2020-2021
|Year of Program:||Year 1|
|Books & Supplies||$2,300|
|Misc (e.g., Boards, Licensing exam, Uniforms)||—|
Expected costs for the 2020-2021 academic year are based on full time attendance. From year to year, increases are anticipated consistent with inflation in the professional education sector.
Estimated Living Expenses
Academic Year 2020-2021, off campus, with a roommate
|Year of Program:||Year 1|
|Room & Board||$12,645|
- Amounts are what a student can apply to borrow for the number of months shown in each academic year based on living off campus with a roommate and not with a relative.
- International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on the numbers listed here.
- In general, to qualify for financial aid a student must be enrolled at least half time taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.