Alternative Program Name
Doctor of Social Work (Clinical Leadership)
Special NotificationDue to issues associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, the GRE General Test is waived for all 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 applicants to doctoral programs in the School of Behavioral Health. Please do not submit GRE scores through ETS or report your scores in any application materials as they will not be taken into consideration.
The hybrid online Doctor of Social Work (DSW) degree is an 83-quarter unit, 3-year program designed to meet the needs of post-master's social work professionals desiring to advance their careers in the areas of clinical leadership and practice innovation. Loma Linda University's internationally and nationally recognized faculty will guide experienced and accomplished social work practitioners to become scholar-practitioners, capable of advancing clinical social work practice knowledge and innovation through applied scholarship, leadership, education, and the promotion of social justice in support of whole person care in an increasingly diverse and global practice environment.
Tuition and Fees
3 years (11 quarters)
Clinical leadership; upper administration in large public and community-based non-profit agencies; behavioral health research and evaluation; health care administration.
• An MSW (or equivalent e.g., MSSW) from a program that is accredited by the CSWE.
• A minimum of four years' professional social work experience post receipt of the MSW degree.
• A minimum MSW GPA of 3.3.
• Writing assessment, GRE general test: The analytical writing section score must equal 4.0 or higher, or applicant can demonstrate proficiency in professional writing as evidenced by first authorship on a professional publication.
• License to practice clinical social work is preferred.
• Structured essay.
• Structured oral interview with program.
• Curriculum vitae.
• Three letters of recommendation (academic and professional).
An MSW from a CSWE-accredited university and a minimum of four years’ experience post-MSW.
Discipline Accrediting Agency
The Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) is presently drafting accreditation policies and standards for DSW programs. LLU faculty are participating in the development of this criteria, and have designed the DSW program at LLU to meet forthcoming accreditation policies and standards for DSW programs.