Loma Linda University, as a participant in the Title-IV loan program, requires it officers, employees, and agents of the institution to adhere to the following Code of Conduct. This code of conduct is required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act and is meant to prohibit a conflict of interest for Loma Linda University, its officer, employees, or agents with regards to private education loans.
Loma Linda University does not recommend, promote, or endorse any specific lender. Loma Linda University does not have a preferred lender list. Loma Linda University provides a list of lenders used by students in the previous academic year to inform new borrowers of possible lending institution. This list is not an endorsement, promotion, or recommendation of any specific lender. The choice of lender is left to the student and Loma Linda University will process loans from any eligible lender.
Code of Conduct Provisions
1. Loma Linda University, its officers, employees, or agents will not enter into a revenue-sharing arrangement with any lender. This is defined as any arrangement between a school and a lender that results in the lender paying a fee or other benefits, including a share of the profits, to the school, its officer, employees or agents, as a result of the school recommending the lender to its students or families of those students.
2. No officer, employee, or agent of the University may solicit or accept gifts from any lender, guarantor, or loan servicer. This ban is not limited to providers of Title IV loans. Providers of private education loans, also known as alternative loans, are included in this provision.
A “gift” is defined as any gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment, hospitality, loan, stock or other item having a monetary value of more than a de minimus amount, such as office pens, pencils, notepads or incidental food items (e.g. holiday cookies, chocolates, fruit plate). The term “gift” does not include any of the following:
- Standard material or activities on issues related to a loan, default aversion, default prevention, or financial literacy, such as a brochure or workshop.
- Entrance and exit counseling services provided to borrowers as long as such counseling does not promote the products or services of any specific lender and are done under the authority and control of an agent of the institution.
- Philanthropic contributions to the institution from a lender, servicer, or guarantor of education loans that are unrelated to educational loans and is not made in exchange for any advantage related to educational private loans.
3. No officer, employee, or agent of the institution shall accept any fee, payment, or financial benefit (including a stock purchasing option) from a lender or affiliate of a lender as compensation for any arrangement or contract to provide service to the lender or affiliate of the lender.
4. Loma Linda University, its officers, employees, or agents will not direct or assign a private lender to a student borrower. Loma Linda University recognizes that a student has the right to choose any private lender to finance his/her education. Loma Linda University will not refuse to certify or otherwise intentionally delay certification of a loan based on the borrower’s selection of a private lender.
5. Loma Linda University will not request or accept funds from any private lender in exchange for providing loan volume, preferential treatment, concessions or inclusion on a preferred lender list.
6. Loma Linda University will not request or accept any call center staffing or financial aid office staffing assistance from any lender or affiliate of a lender.
7. Loma Linda University officers, employees, or agents are prohibited from receiving any compensation for serving as a member or participant of an advisory board of a lending institution, guarantor, or groups consisting of such organizations. However, an employee may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in serving on an advisory board, commission, or group.
8. Loma Linda University officers, employees, or agents will not permit a lender to use any form of identification related to Loma Linda University on lender promotional materials.