The Master of Social Work (MSW) is a 78-unit program emphasizing the biopsychosocial-spiritual approach to advanced clinical social work practice in behavioral health institutions and agencies. Students gain expertise in cutting-edge and evidenced-based trauma- and resiliency-informed interventions that support prevention, early intervention, diagnosis and treatment of children, adolescents, and adults. Experiential learning through Loma Linda University's internationally recognized health system provides students with advanced learning opportunities in integrated behavioral health, tertiary level inpatient care, and global practice settings.
The MSW degree can be completed through the 2-, 3-, or 4- year curriculum options. Other program options include: a 3-year hybrid program for individuals working full time (and individuals working part time who live 25 miles or more from campus) and Advanced Standing options for recent Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) graduates.
Tuition and Fees:
MSW Advanced Standing
MSW Full-Time (2 years)
MSW Part-Time (3 years)
MSW Part-Time Hybrid (3 years)
2-, 3-, or 4- year curriculum options; 3-year part-time hybrid program; advanced standing
Clinical Social Worker, Psychiatric Social Worker, Medical Social Worker, Child and Family Social Worker, Geriatric Social Worker, Hospice Social Worker, Forensic Mental Health Social Worker, Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Worker, Community Social Worker, Healthcare Administrator, Public Health Administrator, Research Social Worker, and Social Work Educator.
|Quarter||Application Open||Priority Deadline||Final Deadline|
|Spring of 2022||Jul 14, 2021||—||Dec 15, 2021|
|Summer of 2022||Aug 15, 2021||Nov 15, 2021||Jan 15, 2022|
|Autumn of 2022||Aug 15, 2021||Nov 15, 2021||Feb 15, 2022|
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above. Under certain circumstances applicants with lower GPAs will be considered.
- University application
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation (3)
- Official transcripts for all college credits
- All students who are working full time must also submit a letter from their agency director acknowledging support in completing the practicum and educational requirements of the MSW program.
- Structured interview—by invitation
The MSW curriculum is built on a liberal arts perspective. Although there are no specific course prerequisites, individual applicants whose undergraduate degree does not reflect this perspective may be asked to enroll in additional courses.
Discipline Accrediting Agency
The MSW program is fully accredited by the Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) to provide master's degree-level education, with the next reaffirmation to be completed in 2025.
State Accrediting AgencyThe academic programs at Loma Linda University are regionally accredited by the WSCUC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges [WASC] Senior College and University Commission).
Expected Cost of Attendance
Academic Year 2021-2022
|Year of Program:||Year 1||Year 2|
|Books & Supplies||$1,770||$1,600|
|Misc (e.g., Boards, Licensing exam, Uniforms)||—||—|
NotesMost Social Work and Social Ecology students receive financial aid.
Estimated Living Expenses
Academic Year 2021-2022, off campus, with a roommate
|Year of Program:||Year 1||Year 2|
|Room & Board||$13,275||$13,275|
- Amounts are what a student can apply to borrow for the number of months shown in each academic year based on living off campus with a roommate and not with a relative.
- International students need to calculate 12 months of living expenses based on the numbers listed here.
- In general, to qualify for financial aid a student must be enrolled at least half time taking degree requirements. Half time is 6 units in a quarter for undergraduate programs and 4 units in a quarter for graduate programs.