Students who have been or are currently in the Armed Forces or Reserves may be eligible for VA Education Benefits. Some benefits are also available to spouses or dependents of veterans.

Application for benefits must be made to the VA in Muskogee, Oklahoma upon the first time use of these benefits (Form 22-1990 Application for VA Education Benefits). If the veteran has previously used his/her education benefits, the application, Request for Change in Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995), must be submitted to the VA. Be sure that the application process or the change in place of training process is done as soon as possible so that there is no additional delay in receiving education benefits. This can be done on-line through VONAPP (see below).

The office of University records serves as the certifying official for Loma Linda University to verify the enrollment of veterans each year. A veteran cannot be certified until he/she registers. Electronic certifications are sent to the VA after the "Last Day to Withdraw with no record on the Transcript." This date is no earlier than two weeks after the first day of the standard term. Payments are usually received six weeks after certification.

The VA Education Service web site ( has information or links to information that is helpful to veterans. Listed below is some helpful information for veterans.

WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). Chapter 30 students can certify their monthly enrollment with WAVE. WAVE resides on a secure server (

News has current information about changes in legislation, regulation, and policy that effect VA benefits.

Education Benefit Programs has general and detailed information about VA education benefits. "Detailed Information" links to on-line copies of the Chapter 30, 32, 35, and 1606 education pamphlets.

Education Forms links to a Veterans Benefits Administration page from which several education forms can be downloaded and printed. The forms are in Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF). You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to access PDF files with your web browser. If you don't have Acrobat Reader installed, a link to download the Reader is on the forms page.

VONAPP (Veterans On-line Application) web site, Veterans can complete and submit the Application for Education Benefits (Form 22-1990) and the Application for Vocational Rehabilitation (Form 22-1900) to VA via VONAPP. Plans are underway to add VA forms 22-5490, 22-1995, and 22-5495.

The toll-free number for the Muskogee Customer Service is 1-888-442-4551. The customer service representatives are available 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. CST, Monday through Friday. However, this number is available 24 hours a day. The system's automated functions can provide information about benefits, applications, etc. Veterans can access their own record to obtain date of last benefit payment, check amounts, etc. Please use the automated system as much as possible.

When to call 1-888-442-4551

  • Non-receipt of benefits over 30 days from submission of enrollment certifications
  • Notification of improper payment
  • Overpayment clarification
  • Hardship cases
  • Problems resulting from DOD: kicker codes or Ch1606 eligibility

Always request and save the name of the person you talk to.

Service Members

All Service Members should speak with their Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling in an institution.